In May 2012, Brian and I packed up [once again] and drove our two cars and a trailer out here to Chicago for me to start school. Brian was thankfully able to keep working as a Marketing Director via the internet for Fetzer's for the first three months. Since then, Brian has started taking his pre-requisite classes to make him eligible to also apply for PA school while he is looking for work. He is still trying to figure out what he wants to do long term whether that is Training or PA school, but we're keeping as many doors open as possible and praying that God will direct us as we look for opportunities.
The decision to become a Physician Assistant was, for me, one of the harder decisions I have had to make. While it has been my dream to practice medicine since college, I had many conflicting emotions regarding family, Brian's career, debt, and my ability to be both an effective PA and [eventually] a mother. But, through many prayers, very large flow charts, pro/con lists and with the encouragement of Brian I accepted the offer and what a whirlwind it has been.
This week I just started my Third semester. I have found the more I study medicine.... the more I realize I don't know. PA school has been very humbling, challenging, fulfilling, and exciting.
Here are some short synopses of our time here in Chicago.
1. May 2012: Hot & Humid, Lots of Kayaking in Lake Michigan. First semester was mostly anatomy, and lots of hours in the dungeonous cadaver lab. Mike & Alicia visited, and we explored downtown Chicago. Tate & Keegan visited for the 4th of July and we watched fireworks over Lake Michigan
2. July 2012: Semester Break, Brian and I took a Church History trip to New York where we visited Palmayra, Kirkland -- oh and we saw Niagara Falls too. What fun.
3. August 2012: Second semester. Beautiful fall colors, failed my first test -- came back and got a 87% on the next one (redeemed.) Brian and I moved to our more permanent apartment in Lake Bluff and discovered a "Running Forest" with awesome trails 2 miles from our house. Started running with the Church running group -- I even ran a 8min/mile 10 mile run last week! Brian is almost fully recovered from his ACL surgery last March and is running like a champ. I have to work hard to keep up. Brian is taking classes and working part time as a health screener for businesses around Chicago.
4. October 2012: Second semester is wrapping up, hours spent studying & studying. Celebrated halloween on Nov.1 (after finals were over)
5. November 2012: Third semester! Mom& Dad Francom came to visit -- saw the Shedd Aquarium, Chicago Botanical Gardens, and took a drive to Lake Geneva, WI. Dad has now been in 35 states. (Mom has been in 33, Brian in 27, and I have been in 23 states)
![]() |
| First Day of School. Yep like Kindergarten. |
![]() |
| This is what I do all day... every day.... |
| Joseph Smith's Home |
![]() |
| The Sacred Grove |
| Niagara Falls! We rode the Maid of the Mist down into the gulf of the Canadian Falls |
| Day at the Zoo |
| Thanksgiving Pumpkins (since we missed Halloween) |
![]() |
| Who knew? There is a little Italy here in Chicago |
| And a little Japan :) |





3 comments:
These pictures make me homesick! I hope you are loving your time in Chicago!!!
How awesome Jess! Good to see you are doing well and you will be an AWESOME PA!!!
Loving Chicago Erica - glad you and Ben are so happy. What a cute couple you make!
And thanks Ash! -- I hope so, right now I feel overwhelmed.... haha. How is being a charge nurse?!
Post a Comment