Us

Us

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Taking it Easy

Late Summer 2011
Wanting to be sure that we made the most of our summer, EVEN though Brian had just had surgery, we went on a few "low-key" adventures.

TRIP #1: KENNICOT MINES

A few days after Surgery we drove out to Kennicot to see the HUGE mines.  Apparently these pits are "One of the Largest Copper Mines in the WORLD!" Yes... they can actually be seen from Space. Yep, Space.


























TRIP #2: SLOW AND EASY HIKE WALK UP MT. OLYMPUS

After work we needed to get outside so we took a short walk up the trailhead to Mt. Olympus just a few miles from our house.



TRIP #3: HANSEL'S GREAT ADVENTURE

So we couldn't really hike that far, so we decided to take our Tacoma "Hansel" off-roading on a trail to go to the front of Mt. Timpanogus.  We camped in the back of our Truck.

Brian's brother Mike and his wife Alicia came with us to sit around the campfire.  While Brian went to pick them up, I was left at the campsite to hold our spot. (Because I didn't want to drive the car on the very narrow dirt road with a sharp drop off on one side) 

To be sure I was safe from cougars... or mountain men... or anything else, Brian left me with our little 22mm Pistol. As I was getting the campfire set up a deer came around the corner of a tree and was staring at me.  I was fine with this.... at first.  After a few minutes the deer wouldn't GO AWAY! I threw rocks...yelled...nothing was deterring this deer.  It was getting dark by this point, and all I could see was two little eyes staring at ME!

I was starting to get nervous, so I got my gun out.. just in case. (Wherever there is deer... there are COUGARS!)  I stood up, grabbed my gun, and went to turn off the safety... again just in case. When I went to turn off the safety, I actually DROPPED THE CLIP OUT OF THE GUN!! Good thing it really was just a deer, not a cougar.   (I hoped?) 

Brian, Mike, and Alicia arrived and we had a wonderful evening by the campfire.  We spent that night sleeping in the back of our truck and in the morning we made breakfast and played BLOCKUS! :)







No comments: