

After we were married we stayed in Portland through Sunday. On Sunday, we went for a beautiful walk up the Columbia Gorge. We saw the beautiful Multnomah Falls and the thick green and wet Oregon forest. It was beautiful!
Monday we drove up to go skiing on Mount Hood. We checked into the Timberline Lodge only to find the weather short of perfect for skiing. . . It was pouring rain! So we decided that we'd try skiing Tuesday. Tuesday's forcast. . . RAIN! After being slightly disappointed about not being able to ski (and for flying up 3 unneeded suitcases of ski equipment from Utah) we decided that the Lord must have been protecting us from dying or breaking a leg skiing seeing as we didn't yet have health insurance!
Through the pouring rain, we then drove out to the Oregon Coast to stay at our family's beach cabin in Rockaway.
Right as we got in, Brian heard a strange, "WHRRIIIIrrrr.. WHRRRIIrrr" sound.
He said to me, "Is that the Tsunami Alarm?" I quietly listened and again heard the siren.
I replied, "Um... yeah."
During this whole conversation we could hear the ocean rumbling loudly behind us. Quickly I suggested to Brian that we get in the car and drive up the mountain.
"Nah, If there is really a Tsunami coming we will die anyway. I'd rather not be in the car. I want to face it head on."
"Really? Are you nuts? Get in the car!" (I said very lovingly) "I at least want to call my parents to be sure that is the siren."
He consented.
We drove up the road where we could get cell phone reception and called my parents. They told us that the siren is also used to call the emergency fire department. The siren had stopped so I figured this was the case. If not.... I figured by this time Brian was right and we would die anyways, so back to the cabin we went.
Turns out... we survived.
The rest of the week was filled with hiking, an entire season of Chuck, lots of homemade Popcorn (thanks to Toni Norton for the popcorn maker), runs on the beach, and lots of memories!
No comments:
Post a Comment